Friday, May 04, 2007

WORK IT, BITCH!

Yeah i decided to apply to a couple of local music schools, give it a shot, see if my award-winning music skill still exists (which i doubt). One of the music schools called this morning and arranged for an audition 2 weeks from now. I mentally screamed AUDITION??!! WTF??!!! They assumed i apply for the CLASSICAL Music Teacher position and Oh scheisse now i gotta work my ass off in order to play decent polyphonic, sonata (im thinking of switching to sonatina thankyouverymuch) and 3 other pieces in just 14 days and counting.

Here are my strategies:

Baroque-style is tricky, especially the double prelude-fuga pieces i played on my last years at school, so i’ll just tone it down n play the inventions instead. Its relatively easy and i can focus more on the frickin sonata/ina.

At first i chose the infamous Moonlight Sonata, which sounds n looks easy but is exactly the opposite. But i figure a gloomy song play on mid-day might destroy me (n with my current state of musicality, 2 weeks is just plain impossible to prepare a complete 3-part ‘sonata quasi una fantasia’), so i decided to try my luck with the 1917 SONATINE BUREUCRATIQUE from Eric Satie. Its a 6-page tribute to Clementi, only with more character and personality and a slightly (HAH!) more difficult technique.

If i cant pull it off in 3 days i’m switching to good ol’ Beethoven.

Last but not least, my pick for the 3 other songs are:

1) CARL WILHELM KERN – THE JUGGLER
Back at school, I never get to play this piece. Somehow today I was attracted to this one, it has a fun and wicked feel in it, and I’d very much like to give it a shot.
2) FRANCIS POULENC – NOVELETTE IN C MAJOR
This is our personal favorite, me and my greatest teacher, may he rest in peace.
3) MARTHA MIER – JACKSON STREET BLUES
I figure it wouldn’t hurt to add some flavor to the –classical- audition.


That’s it folks. Will start practicing by TOMORROW.

*Well hello there migraine, chipped nails, backpain and sore joints! I c u’ll be keeping me company for the next 2 weeks! Just like the old days! Woohoo!


I must be crazy to do this.
 
Blog Template by suckmylolly.com : Header Image by Roctopus